"A Home with a Heart"
Baraga County Shelter Home
A Non-Profit Agency Serving Baraga County, Michigan
|Home||Domestic Violence||Programs and Services||Volunteer||Donate|
Baraga County Shelter Home
* Shelter, Food & Clothing in a safe environment.
* 24 Hour Telephone Crisis Intervention
* Information about available Domestic Violence Intervention options for the survivor.
* Advocacy & support for clients with medical, social, legal, ministerial, mental health and substance abuse issues.
* Transportation to various services when necessary.
* Support group for both residential and non-residential clients.
* Referral for male victims to available resources.
* Counselor & Youth Advocate on site.
VICTIM ADVOCACY SERVICES
The S.T.O.P. Program, funded by a federal grant from the Department of Justice, allows the Baraga County Shelter Home, Inc. to employ a Victim’s Advocate 1/2 time. Services available through the S.T.O.P. Advocacy Program are as follows:
* Criminal Justice Advocacy * Legal Advocacy
* Personal Protection Orders * Housing Advocacy
* Financial Advocacy * Court Room Advocacy & Support
* Transportation * Medical Advocacy
* Information & Referrals
All services are free of cost and available to victims of Domestic & Sexual Violence. Contact the S.T.O.P. Office at (906) 395-0526 or the Baraga County Shelter Home (24 hr. crisis line) at (906) 524-7078.
Advocacy is defined as “An act of pleading for or giving verbal support to a cause.” (Random House College Dictionary, 1975).
The Housing Resource Specialist will assist and advocate for clientele with housing throughout Baraga County by:
Assisting clients with housing applications.
Maintaining an updated list of available and adequate housing.
Transportation to housing appointments
1st Months Rent/Security Deposits
Shut off Notice (Utilities)
Follow – up
The Parent Aide will work with families in a variety of capacities including:
Domestic violence men, women, and children
Alcohol/drug abuse and the role it plays in domestic violence
The effects of domestic violence on children
Helping children to cope with the realities of domestic violence
Empowerment through information and realization
Strength from within
Budgeting and planning
Individual Counseling appointments are offered at no charge to clients of domestic violence or sexual assault.
Appointments are completely confidential and can be arranged by calling the crisis line at
(906) 524- 7078
The Baraga County Shelter Home, Inc. is funded by:
Domestic Violence Prevention & Treatment Board (DVPTB)
STOP ARRA – Stimulus Funds
Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA)
Federal Emergency Management Act (FEMA)
Victims of Crime Act (VOCA)
Various other donations.
Hosting Provided by Baraga Telephone Company
Copyright © 2011 Baraga County Shelter Home, Inc.
All rights reserved.